Sirois & Cohen is a boutique law firm in the heart of old Montreal specializing in tax law and tax litigation. It is our mission to offer practical and affordable solutions tailored to the needs of our clients.
Our primary field of expertise is Tax litigation in all tax related matters such as income tax, GST/QST, excise taxes (such as tobacco). We represent our clients at every stage of the tax litigation process, such as:
- The audit;
- appeals before federal and provincial courts;
- negotiating payment plans, settlements, and interest and penalty relief with the collections departments of Revenu Québec and the Canada Revenue Agency.
We have extensive experience in helping our clients make Voluntary Disclosures. We will make sure a voluntary disclosure is the right solution for you by looking back at your tax file, making sure it will not have a negative impact on a past event, such as a bankruptcy involving tax debts.
Our expertise also includes the following:
Tax and estate planning:
- Helping our clients transfer ownership of a family business over to the next generation using an estate freeze;
- setting up an income splitting structure with trusts or corporations in order to minimize income taxes for shareholders;
- Helping our clients use other tax reduction tools such as business investment losses, rollovers, deduction for capital gains, corporate reorganizations, etc.
Commercial, civil and estate litigation: being primarily a litigation firm, we have experience in all sorts litigation, ranging from real estate, insurance to estate litigation.